Cybersecurity is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world, but it’s also one that changes the quickest. Technology is expanding and evolving at a rapid pace, one that even some of the top cybersecurity firms in the country are still struggling to keep pace with.
We all have the opportunity to make our world a little safe, whether it’s just by shoring up our own personal security or by working towards a career in cybersecurity to help others. That’s why it’s more important than ever to stay up-to-date on what’s going on in the cybersecurity world!
- There is a new cyberattack committed every 39 seconds. (TechJury)
- Human error causes 95% of cybersecurity breaches. (Chief Executive)
- Over 93% of healthcare systems have had their data breached in the last 3 years alone. (Herjavec Group)
- There are approximately 38.4 passwords per person in the world, that’s about 300 billion passwords total. (Cybersecurity Ventures)
- In the first 3 months of 2020 there was a 273% increase of exposed records from the previous year. In that time frame alone approximately 8.4 billion records were exposed. (Security Magazine)
- At least 16 billion records, including credit card numbers, home addresses, phone numbers and other highly sensitive information have been exposed through data breaches since 2019. (Selfkey)
- By 2021, the total cost of global cybercrime will reach $6 trillion. (Cybersecurity Ventures)
- Identity theft costs Americans roughly $15 billion and impacts over 60 million Americans every year. (Life Lock)
- It takes an average of 206 days for companies to identify a breach once it’s already happened. (IBM)
- Data breaches cost an average of $3.92 million in 2019. (Security Intelligence)
- The cybersecurity industry has an unemployment rate is 0%. (CSO Online)
- 30,000 websites are hacked every day across the globe. (Tech Jury)
- Human reasoning and skills are the best defense against phishing attacks. (Comparitech)
- 300,000 new pieces of malware are made every day. (WebARX)
- 64% of all companies have experienced a cyber attack in some form. (Tech Jury)
- Financial gain is the motivation for 86% of data breaches. (Digital Guardian
- On average, each person uses about 191 services that require passwords or other security credentials. (Digital Shadows)
- More than 77% of organizations do not have a plan in place to respond to cyber attacks. (Informational Management)
- The average ransomware payment has increased by 33% up to $111,605 per attack. (Bank Info Security)
- 52% of security breaches were due to hacking, 32-33% due to psychological manipulation or phishing, and 28% were caused by malware. (Verizon)
- Annual security spending doubled between 2012 and 2018. (Gartner)
As technology continues to play a vital role in all of our lives, it’s important to understand what’s happening in the cybersecurity world that may impact both individuals and businesses. Cybersecurity is an industry that’s always growing and evolving, but the experts at the C6A team are hard at work keeping informed to make sure our curriculum is one of the most cutting edge programs available to help protect the world from cybercrime.
When it comes to making the world a safer place, there’s nothing more powerful than knowledge!